Sunday, September 2, 2012

Reading Blog- Tablets IV and V of the Epic of Gilgamesh

I sometimes feel like Gilgamesh. When he begins the journey to slay Huwawa, he is confident, however as he progresses, with the contribution of morbid, dark dreams, he loses confidence. I sometimes accept tasks with a certainty that I can do them, but then lose confidence when I realize I may not be able to accomplish the task or when I observe things that may point to my inability to do a task.

The journey of Gilgamesh and Enkidu reminds me of the journey undertaken by Frodo and Sam in the Lord of the Rings.

The 13 winds which assault Huwawa make me think of the association of the number 13 with bad luck, evil, and pestilence.

The final attempts Huwawa made to convince Gilgamesh to spare him reminded me of the temptation which the ring gave in the Lord of the Rings before its destruction.

The use of the head of Huwawa as a trophy reminded me of Perseus, who kept Medusa's head after slaying her.


No comments:

Post a Comment