Sunday, September 2, 2012

Reading Blog- Tablets I-III of the Epic of Gilgamesh

The character of Gilgamesh reminds me very much of another great warrior, Achilles, and his counterpart, Enkidu, reminds me of Achilles' good friend, Patroklos, although I understand the nature of the relationship is quite different.

I think shepherd is a word that is important to define. In its literal form, it means a person who tends and rears sheep, but it is used metaphorically, in the same manner as it has been used in texts such as the Bible, as the Messiah, the leader of the people, a term used when describing Jesus of Nazareth, and uttered when the old men of Uruk asked the gods whether Gilgamesh was truly their saviour.

The description of the creation of Enkidu reminds me very much of the creation of man outlined in Genesis, where clay is used to make a being made in the very image of God.

The man who spots the hairy beast Enkidu reminds me of people who have sighted a sasquatch, bigfoot, or other mythical creatures.

At this point in the story, I am wondering how a friendship between Gilgamesh and Enkidu will form.

The account of the harlot conquering and wooing the hairy beast reminds me of the story of King Kong, in which a beautiful woman tames a wild beast.

The descriptions are repeated many times, i.e. the description of Enkidu was repeated a few times, as well as that of the Cedar Forest and Huwawa, with some variations. This vaguely resembles a kind of mantra, in which the exact wording is used to describe an entity, as if it were part of it's title.


No comments:

Post a Comment