Friday, May 17, 2013

Aphorism

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything-- Plato

This aphorism holds importance in my life because its very true for me. Just as it was for Plato, music inspires my mind and imagination, and definitely brings another charm to life, one that wouldn't exist without it. I haven't always been obsessed with music, or listened to it as methodically as I do now, however going back to before would seem impossible now. I find it very interesting that even since the beginning of civilization, music has had the same appreciation that it does now.

I relate this aphorism to what Joseph Campbell says about heroes because many heroes throughout history have been musicians. Orpheus, who I will act as on Thursday, was a musician. This profession has been wont to experience tragedy in many stories in history, and though many times it is attributed to the libertine and bohemian lifestyle its practitioners lead, I believe that the role of the musician, to turn tragedy into beautiful songs, makes them the bearers of many calamities. As Orpheus sings to Hades in the underworld, he is weaving his sadness only through the power of music, and it manages to move the god of death.

No comments:

Post a Comment